Friday, December 13, 2013

The Dreaded Turtle

I had a big, brown box waiting for me by the front door this morning. I've been doing a little too much Christmas shopping, so I could not wait to see what had finally arrived. I tore through that brown cardboard like my life depended on it...

And there it was. Staring up at me with it's peacefull, smiling, horrible, life-changing face!
 
 
Okay, okay. I'm being a bit dramatic. BUT NOT REALLY!! Here's the deal: I made a promise to Andrew (well, to myself but I felt like I had to say it out loud so I would go through with it) that when this bad boy arrived in the mail, I would finally be ready to move Jack to his crib.
 
Jack's still in your room?!?!  I KNOW I KNOW! I laughed as I read one of my old blogs that showed a picture of his pack-n-play that he would spend "a couple weeks" in.
 
Well here we are 3 months later and he is still in it. You see, there's been some trouble sleeping through the night, needing of comfort 24/7, and an urge to snuggle.
Jack, you say?
Um..no. ME.
 
Yep, I find myself waking at 3:30 am just to make sure he doesn't need me. Are you sure you want to stay asleep? Yeah? Oh...okay. I'll just watch you from here. It's ridiculous, I'm aware. I was just waiting for the "right time". He needed a sound machine (check), humidifier (check), and obviously a night sky to light up his room because DUH who doesn't need one of those? So I purchased Mr. Turtle two days ago with the slowest snail-mail hoping I had a week or two left with my cooing baby next to me. Wouldn't you know that mail has suddenly become so efficient and quick?! (Hello, where are my Christmas cards?!)
 
Now that Jack's really starting to set a schedule for himself (sleep training, what? he's a pro on his own) I knew that it was time to keep that going. The last thing I want is my awesome, sleeping-through-the-night 3 month old to back track because mama can't handle him being in the next room over. Did I mention his room is literally maybe 6 feet away from our door? Yeah.
 
So I'm asking for some mama-courage and a lot of prayers because tonight I attempt to put my heart in the room next to me. I don't promise that I won't go across the hall 13 times to make sure our boy is happy, but I do promise to try my best.
 
Motherhood: making women cry over a light-up turtle.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment